Benefits of Lemon Water
You’re likely aware of the necessity of plain water, but do you know how beneficial drinking lemon water is? Although it’s recommended from health professionals, drinking a copious amount of water regularly can be pretty boring because it tastes bland. We need a little excitement throughout our day and that includes what we drink, even how we drink it.
Adding lemon to your water makes all the difference in terms of taste, and it also comes with many other healthy advantages. Let’s dive into the benefits of lemon water. Who know’s, after reading this all the way through, maybe you’ll be an expert on the topic and maybe even take your health to a whole new level.
The Top 10 Lemon Water Benefits
- Lemon water will improve your energy due to the Vitamin B & C, plus the other nutrients thanks to lemons. It’ll make you feel more rejuvenated and ready for the take on the day. It’s an excellent way to wake up in the morning as opposed to drinking coffee(which is a form of stimulant energy that will soon make you tired); it’s robbing Peter to pay Paul, basically borrowing energy now, only to crash later. Drinking coffee also raises your cortisol levels, therefore adding more stress in your life. Once you get into a habit of drinking lemon water in the morning, you can wave your caffeine addiction goodbye. The smell of the lemon water is enough to brighten your mood and make you want to be productive with your time.
- Water on its own can do wonders for your skin, and lemon water is even more beneficial for that purpose. This is due to the fact that it stimulates the growth of new blood cells and also purifies the blood in general. There are also many powerful antioxidants in lemon water, which flushes dangerous toxins from the body and leaves you with a healthy looking glow that even the most expensive makeup products cannot achieve. Natural is best, and this is as natural as it gets.
- Consuming lemon water will also boost your immune system. It’ll help keep you away from minor/major illnesses like the flu. The Vitamin C is what makes the drink a cold fighter, and in addition to that, there are saponins found in lemons which are full with antimicrobial properties.
- One of the main lemon water benefits is its ability to initiate weight loss. There’s a great amount of pectin fiber in lemons which will suppress your appetite, help you eat smaller portions and therefore make you lose weight. Many people (including celebrities) actually go on a lemon water “detox” if they want to lose a significant amount of weight quickly. Lemon water is calorie free, and by replacing other drinks with it, you are actually cutting calories without even realizing.
- It’s a natural treatment for many ailments in the mouth and throat area such as throat infections and sore throats. The antibacterial properties of the acidic liquid have healing and soothing effects, and it is really effective in treating tonsillitis. Gargling warm lemon water when you have a sore throat can be a quick and easy cure.
- If you suffer from bad breath and nothing you do seems to make a difference, why not give lemon water a try? It’s said that due to the acidic nature of lemons, it triggers the production of saliva in the mouth. The basic nature of saliva discourages the growth of bacteria that causes bad breath. Lemon will also remove the white layer of bacteria on the tongue that festers as you sleep which will tame that dreaded morning breath.
- Another benefit of this miraculous drink is that it’s great for digestion because it aids the removal of toxins and other harmful compounds from the body. Not only does an improved digestive system mean you will get a flatter stomach, but it also makes you unlikely to suffer from constipation and diarrhea. A well-functioning digestive system ensures maximum absorption of food nutrients. This in turns improves your overall wealth. It would help you visit the toilet regularly. This is why many famous stars use lemon water as a detox when they have an important red carpet event approaching.
- The urinary tract is cleaned by regular consumption of lemon water. If you suffer from UTI’s or other water infections often, this is perfect for you because their reoccurrence will be prevented.
- Your liver will also benefit from drinking lemon water. It’s therefore recommended that you take a few glasses after a hard night of drinking. The liver removes toxins from the body hence keeping you in good condition your health. Lemon water will also enhance the enzyme function in all other parts of your body and also get rid of any bacteria that might be harmful to you.
- Lemons are super high in potassium, just like the more well-known bananas. Potassium is essential in the working of most vital organs like your heart, brain, kidneys and muscles.
Now that you’ve heard some of the amazing lemon water benefits, what have you got to lose by NOT drinking it? I recommend getting giving it a shot. Instead of a sugary soda, try a glass of pure lemon water.
Below are some other tips that you might find useful when making this beneficial lifestyle change.
Other helpful tips for drinking lemon water
When’s the best time to drink lemon water?
There’s no doubt that it’s good for you all day long but you can heighten the lemon water benefits by making sure you drink plenty in the morning. Not only will this make you feel more awake, but it also gives you the touch of hydration that you’ll need to get you started on your day. You’ve basically been fasting as you sleep so when nothing has gone into your body yet. If you drink lemon water then, its benefits will be more pronounced. Consuming lemon water around half an hour before you have your breakfast will help ensure that you do not overeat and it will also kick-start your body’s digestive system.
What to add for flavor
If you want to flavor your lemon water, even more, you should try a drop of honey or include other fruits as well such as blueberries, strawberries, even mint, and more. It’ll make it even tastier. You can read some pretty amazing stories of people who’ve tried a lemon-honey water cleanse online and if you want to experience the same kind of perks, why not try it?
If you’re craving something sweet and at the same time you do not wish to overindulge in chocolate or something heavy, perhaps adding honey to your lemon water could be a good option. If you don’t like honey or the combination of flavors just don’t appeal to you, regular lemon water will be fine. DO NOT add anything else that may destroy it’s chemical composition and make it worthless.
In other words, don’t run 5 miles in the morning, only to indulge in pizza, beer, and a triple chocolate cake right after if you’re looking to transform your health.
Drink lemon water cold or warm?
Although lemon water is often drunk cold, there are also benefits to drinking it warm. Warm lemon water is said to be better than cold lemon water because it helps even more with digestion and weight loss. Some people simply prefer the taste of warm lemon water; it’s particularly nice to drink in the colder months of the year. You can make warm lemon water by boiling the kettle slightly or using a cup of hot water to soak your bottle of infused lemon water.
You’ll be doing some amazing things for your body by taking in lemon water regularly. However, you won’t make much of a difference if you continue to have bad eating habits and avoid exercise. Working out and eating well is the best way to keep your body in good shape, so try and make other positive changes too.
Drinking lemon water should help you with this due to the fact that it works as an appetite suppressant, puts you in a better mood, energizes you and boosts your metabolism. It will kick off the sluggish feeling and fatigue and allow you to carry out workout routines for longer periods.
Peeling off lemons and juicing the fruit into a glass of water could be a daunting task. There are some ways to make it more convenient. Fruit infused water bottles are an option. These are easy to take with you and keeps the lemon water fresh and evenly mixed.
One thing about drinking lemon water squeezed by hand directly into a glass of water is that it can be overly sour. I recommend soaking the lemon itself in a pitcher of water and pouring it in a glass as needed. Or if you’d like to make it easy to drink lemon water on the go, give this BPA-Free infuser try.